Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sewing and Centering

I was feeling quite overwhelmed last night after a long day in the hot studio trying to get my pottery orders under control, so I got out the sewing basket. I sew a lot in the wintertime when it is too cold to go out to the studio without turning on the heat. Sewing is very relaxing to me because it is such a focused activity. This winter I started making the girls a set of alphabet bean bags....filling them with different kinds of beans: lentils, garbanzo, limas, black, pintos, black eyed peas, split peas and so on so that they will have a different feel with each one....some even have rice, barley or pasta. My goal is to have the entire alphabet done by christmas. I was going to keep them secret but I couldn't wait, they are happily playing games with them already.

I am also making Cammy a set of number bean bags. Each bean bag has an even and an odd number. For now my goal is to get all the numbers up to 20 made by the time we officially start our school year in August. I have a lot of fun ideas about how to use them with our math work. One of the things I like most about Waldorf is the way that they teach through movement to ingrain the knowledge deeply into the whole child...mind , spirit and body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...